Lynchburg Museum System is located in the Old Court House-Lynchburg Va
By Pat Whitehouse, Broker/Owner
(RE/MAX 1st Olympic Lynchburg Va)
The Museum is housed in Lynchburg’s second court house, completed in the Greek Revival style in 1855. William Ellison, the designer of the building, borrowed heavily from builders' handbooks of the day which provided detailing from classical structures such as the Parthenon. The fluted Doric columns, pedimented portico, and commanding presence on the hill overlooking the James River evoke the classical concepts of the day. From 1855 onward, the Old Court House was used for a variety of courts: Hustings, Mayors, Circuit, District, Federal, and Juvenile Courts among them. During the Civil War, it was used by the Confederate government for the Quartermaster’s Department, Soldiers’ Aid Society, and the Soldiers’ Library. During Reconstruction, the Old Court House was used as headquarters f...