Keven Hoopiiaina, Property Manager/Owner/Agent in Training (DKG Properties)

Spam prevention
Kathleen Daniels, Probate & Trust Specialist
KD Realty - 408.972.1822 - San Jose, CA
Probate Real Estate

I would contact the utility company.  In my area, there is a list of contractors that work with the city and the utility company ... making the costs and the timeframes for completion a little more certain and much less of a crapshoot. 

Good luck! 

Dec 17, 2018 01:49 PM
Barbara Todaro
RE/MAX Executive Realty - Retired - Franklin, MA
Previously Affiliated with The Todaro Team

I'm sure the utility company will be able to give you direction on it....and then your building dept. will require you to pull permits for whatevery you're doing.... the electrical inspector in your town/city will need to inspect ... probably after the disconnect and then again the reconnection.... 

Dec 17, 2018 12:53 PM
Candice A. Donofrio
Next Wave RE Investments LLC Bullhead City AZ Commercial RE Broker - Fort Mohave, AZ
928-201-4BHC (4242) call/text

Keven, aren't you a power company manager? 😉 I seem to recall having heard that. So you probably know the process for your area? Forgive me if I'm wrong. There are some real gossips around here. LMAO

For my area, it would begin with an email to our local power company's engineering department, to get somebody out there to evaluate it. The property owner would then need to pay a deposit which would be non-refundable and apply toward the final costs, should they decide to go through with the project.

Dec 17, 2018 12:34 PM
Susie Kay
Ultra Real Estate Dallas Fort Worth - Plano, TX
North Dallas Specialist

Never experience this but I would start with the utility company. 

Dec 17, 2018 02:03 PM
Bob "RealMan" Timm
Ward County Notary Services - Minot, ND
Owner of Ward Co. Notary Services, retired Realtor

I have not Kevin but I'm interested in seeing others answers. Thanks for asking the question.

Dec 17, 2018 01:11 PM
Annette Lawrence , Palm Harbor, FL 727-420-4041
ReMax Realtec Group - Palm Harbor, FL
Making FLORIDA Real Estate EZ

All real estate is local.

In my slice of Fl paradise, when all players have given their blessing, cost will be $250 per linear foot and yep, you buy the new enclosure also. The shutoff is usually complimentary for existing houses but new construction may be hit with initiation fee. Duke Energy likes $350.  I incurred the additional cost of removing the existing pole that delivered the service initially.

All of this should be familiar to the contractor doing the work and the contractor should need no guidance. DO NOT create a situation where the contractor assumes others will be doing something that should be their responsibility only.

Here in Florida, is it essential to determine if the contractor will subbing any of the work. If so, require subs to sign release before coming on property. You could end up paying for the work twice.

Dec 17, 2018 12:11 PM
Bob Crane
Woodland Management Service / Woodland Real Estate, EXP - Stevens Point, WI
Forestland Experts! 715-204-9671

Contact your utility company, it may cost you a lot, if it is even possible.  More often builders adjust their plans and move the structure.

Now is this new construction, or a repair on an existing structure?  your question hints toward both.

On existing buildings where a power line or gas line just needs to be pulled back temporarily this is a common thing and often does not even involve a significant charge.

Dec 17, 2018 11:59 AM
Doug Dawes
Keller Williams Realty - Topsfield, MA - Georgetown, MA
Your Personal Realtor®

You need to contact the local utility company and get their input have them handle.

Dec 18, 2018 06:17 AM
Harry Norman, REALTORS® - Atlanta, GA
Associate Broker

I have not Keven. 

Dec 18, 2018 06:13 AM
Caroline Gerardo
Sun West Mortgage Corporation - Newport Beach, CA
C. G. Barbeau the Loan Lady nmls 324982

 Public Utility? They are in charge and have the easments - call and ask about their written permission and their permit costs. Assuming you can trench this under a concrete foundation is not for a DIY you must hire a general contractor who has experience with all the entities. Can't tell you costing without knowing:

how deep

how long

how many other properties you will disturb

time it takes to jack the foundation up and pour new one


General idea- 30 feet more than 24 inches deep- if your climate snows you may be required to go 36 inches deep I don't know your codes. A guess for a new power line unobstructed dig $20000. Plus jacking house up and finding more surprises maybe the house cracks in half? I'm going with $60000 for 2000 square foot single story house in dirt that is not granite without winding around gas lines and cable and some bomb shelter for a guess


Dec 17, 2018 02:23 PM
Roy Kelley
Realty Group Referrals - Gaithersburg, MD

The power company will give you advice.

Dec 17, 2018 01:04 PM
Jeff Pearl
RE/MAX Distinctive / LIC in VA - Lovettsville, VA
Full Service Full Time Realtor

Yes, just did it. Power company has to be notified. Miss utility marks underground lines here, and electrician should be involved. Most builders and contractors are familiar with the process.

Dec 17, 2018 12:52 PM
Richie Alan Naggar
people first...then business Ran Right Realty - Riverside, CA
agent & author

Red-tape, big bucks and time....Settle in and down on this one. You'll learn

Dec 17, 2018 12:36 PM
Lyn Sims
RE/MAX Suburban - Schaumburg, IL
Schaumburg Real Estate

I faint at the thought .... no suggestions.

Dec 17, 2018 11:46 AM
Nina Hollander, Broker
Coldwell Banker Realty - Charlotte, NC
Your Greater Charlotte Realtor

Sorry, no experience. And I'm sure costs vary greatly by location.

Dec 17, 2018 11:45 AM
Richard Weeks
Dallas, TX
REALTOR®, Broker

Sorry no clue.

Dec 18, 2018 04:54 AM
Buzz Mackintosh
Mackintosh REALTORS - Frederick, MD
“Experience, reliable, leadership”

In our area for power lines call Miss Utility , foundation problems consult an Engineer

Dec 18, 2018 04:03 AM
Inna Ivchenko
Barcode Properties - Encino, CA
Realtor® • GRI • HAFA • PSC Calabasas CA

No, not me. But in Los Angeles it would be super expensive and time consuming.

Dec 17, 2018 10:52 PM
John Juarez
The Medford Real Estate Team - Fremont, CA

 I have not had this kind of problem. I am thinking the cure will be expensive.

Dec 17, 2018 07:54 PM
Wanda Kubat-Nerdin - Wanda Can!
Red Rock Real Estate - St. George, UT
So Utah Residential, Referral & Relocation REALTOR

Contact the local City or County Building Department for more information Keven. They have what you will need or can point you in the right direction in order for you to make an informed decision. 

Dec 17, 2018 06:36 PM
Fred Griffin Tallahassee Real Estate
Fred Griffin Real Estate - Tallahassee, FL
Licensed Florida Real Estate Broker

      Primary power line running through a neighborhood, or just the secondary drop to that particular house?   Relocating a primary line will be a very expensive and time-consuming bureaucratic hurdle (if even allowed).  Relocating the secondary will be more feasible. 

     Talk with a local electric contractor, and with the utility provider.

Dec 17, 2018 03:16 PM
Debe Maxwell, CRS | The Maxwell House Group | RE/MAX Executive | (704) 491-3310 - Charlotte, NC
The right Charlotte REALTOR!

I had one in NC that had to be moved for a pool and the utility company took care of it because it was running (oblique) across the property and they agreed it would prevent future building on the lot. They didn't charge the owners but, I don't know what your utility company or city permitting requires. 

Dec 17, 2018 03:03 PM
Mary Yonkers
Alan Kells School of Real Estate/Howard Hanna Real Estate - Erie, PA
Erie/PA Real Estate Instructor

Call the utility company.  Good luck.

Dec 17, 2018 02:24 PM
Wayne Martin
Wayne M Martin - Chicago, IL
Real Estate Broker - Retired

Contact the utility company and see if they would consider relocating the line. If so, what would be the charge?

Dec 17, 2018 02:17 PM
Ron and Alexandra Seigel
Napa Consultants - Carpinteria, CA
Luxury Real Estate Branding, Marketing & Strategy


You have quite a bit of advice here.  A

Dec 17, 2018 01:52 PM
Joe Pryor
The Virtual Real Estate Team - Oklahoma City, OK
REALTOR® - Oklahoma Investment Properties

Consult with your broker.

Dec 17, 2018 12:32 PM
Ricardo Mello
Manhattan Miami Real Estate - Manhattan, NY
Manhattan & Miami Real Estate Agent

I haven't Keven.

Dec 17, 2018 11:51 AM
Sandy Padula and Norm Padula, JD, GRI
HomeSmart Realty West & Lend Smart Mortgage, Llc. - Carlsbad, CA
Presence, Persistence & Perseverance

No experience but keep us updated on the progress, costs and outcome please

Dec 18, 2018 06:24 AM
Scott Godzyk
Godzyk Real Estate Services - Manchester, NH
One of the Manchester NH's area Leading Agents

I did last year and we had to pay for them to move it. 

Dec 18, 2018 05:29 AM
Jeff Dowler, CRS
eXp Realty of California, Inc. - Carlsbad, CA
The Southern California Relocation Dude

I have no experience but would contact the utility company for starters. Who is going to pay for this, if it's allowed?

Dec 17, 2018 09:19 PM
Sam Shueh
(408) 425-1601 - San Jose, CA
mba, cdpe, reopro, pe

Contact the utility company, city for permits.

Dec 17, 2018 07:57 PM
Gita Bantwal
RE/MAX Centre Realtors - Warwick, PA
REALTOR,ABR,CRS,SRES,GRI - Bucks County & Philadel

No idea.

Dec 17, 2018 11:46 AM
Gabe Sanders
Real Estate of Florida specializing in Martin County Residential Homes, Condos and Land Sales - Stuart, FL
Stuart Florida Real Estate

Sorry, I don't have a clue.

Dec 18, 2018 06:38 AM
Dave Martin (703) 585-4687
Fairfax Realty - Fairfax, VA
Making Realty Dreams a Reality #WeWillGetYouHome

Cost will vary greatly and often local permits will be expensive too... you need to contact a local electrical contractor for estimates Keven Hoopiiaina 

Dec 23, 2018 07:36 PM
Joan Cox
House to Home, Inc. - Denver Real Estate - 720-231-6373 - Denver, CO
Denver Real Estate - Selling One Home at a Time

I have no experience with this.

Dec 22, 2018 07:27 AM
Keven Hoopiiaina
DKG Properties - Salt Lake City, UT
Property Manager/Owner/Agent in Training

Thanks all for your great responses. The power company responded and they checked their mapping - turns out, the underground conduit was abandoned (no live line present) and the service line had already been relocated since it was damaged years ago. The foundation work can be repaired without impacting any utility lines. Unfortunately, the foundation work needed will be quite extensive, so we decided to move on to keep searching for another candidate. At least the owners now know what they need to do to get it sold. 

Dec 20, 2018 03:51 AM
William Feela
Realtor, Whispering Pines Realty 651-674-5999 No.

My advice is to get a professional to tell you what needs to be done

Dec 19, 2018 07:15 PM
Will Hamm
Hamm Homes - Aurora, CO
"Where There's a Will, There's a Way!"

Call the utility company for advice.


Dec 18, 2018 04:05 PM
Ryan Huggins - Thousand Oaks, CA - Thousand Oaks, CA
Residential Real Estate and Investment Properties

Interesting question.  I've not had this situation before.  The only foundation repair I've had to do was on a house with above ground utilities.  I'd suggest reaching out to your power provider.  I do recommend renting a bobcat type tool to do the trenching.  Much quicker, easier and (usually) cheaper than having people dig by hand.

Dec 18, 2018 09:32 AM